The Forest of Dean is a geographical and cultural region in western Gloucestershire, England. It is a triangular plateau bordered by the River Wye west and north, River Severn to the south, and City of Gloucester to the east.
The Forest of Dean, about 110 square kilometres, is one of the surviving ancient woodlands in England; the area being first occupied by the Romans around 50 A.D. A large area was reserved for royal hunting before 1066, and it remained the second largest Crown forest in England thenceforth; and was used exclusively as royal hunting ground by the Tudor Kings.
(image by wikimedia)
Portugal’s Douro River Valley © Stephanie Maze